[lit-ideas] Goodness me

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:30:30 +0100

You will know that Ayaan Hirsi Ali left the Netherlands for a fellowship
at the American Enterprise Institute.  What you may not have known (I didn't
till today) is that the Netherlands continued to pay for her security
after she moved to Washington.  It is no longer prepared to do that. She is
prepared to (try to) raise money for her security in the US but
can't till she gets a green card -- that has come through but not
quickly enough, so she's back in the Netherlands, where her security is
provided, again, by the government there (and where she can raise
the money to pay for protection in the US).

This strikes me as crazy (the refusal of the Netherlands to
pay for security for her in perpetuity, aside); can't someone in
the US pay?

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK