[lit-ideas] Re: Girlie Writing

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:14:22 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 11, 2004 6:38 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Girlie Writing

 A.A:
>  What'd I say?  You say someone has girlie writing, I ask what is girlie=
=20
> writing, and you get all exercised over it.  Geez, babe, get a grip.

I don't presume to answer for Erin, Andy, but I suspect she might have=20
gotten a bit pissed at the tenor of your reply which was somewhat=20
confrontational when all this was meant as lighthearted play.  I'm answerin=
g=20
before she does in hopes of short circuiting her capacity for brutality (cf=
.=20
"girlie penmanship").  I hope Erin will not resent my stepping in here, but=
=20
I like to think of myself as the resistor between the terminals of a=20
capicitor, slowly draining down the microfarads of charge so that no one=20
gets hurt by the stored voltage.  Some might think that's a rather esoteric=
=20
metaphor, but I don't care.  I am esoteric.  And I have girlie penmanship.=
=20
So what?  I'm esoteric.

A.A. Oh, pshaw.   I like exercised women anyway.  Besides, I was really bro=
aching a larger issue.  Everybody (okay, "everybody") talks about women bei=
ng brainwashed into this and that.  My point, brought up the first time in =
the post about the Nobel prize winner, is that women can't be brainwashed u=
nless men are too.  After all these years of women's lib, we are still maki=
ng judgments - by 22 year olds no less - even as to male/female handwriting=
.  What, then, has changed?  I believe the statistic is that 1/3 of women e=
arn more than men, and women are marrying men for their nurturing skills so=
 they themselves can pursue careers.  Why, then are we still hearing accusa=
tions of "girlie men" and remarks about girlie handwriting?  Why not just c=
lear handwriting, or flourishy, or some other thing?  More to the point, wh=
y "girlie"?  Girlie is pejorative.  Why not feminine, which is nice.  Every=
one (sorry, "everyone") is instructed to get in touch with their "feminine =
side".  Fair question, yes?

Andy Amago

Mike Geary
Memphis=20