[lit-ideas] Gentlemen v. Players

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:01:13 EST

HISTORICAL QUOTE:

1963 Times 1  Feb. 4/2
Now that the amateur has no place in representative  cricket, M.C.C. have to
find another match to replace Gentlemen v. Players.

    "the ‘Gentlemen and Players’ syndrome, a very British  form of ‘apartheid
’."

We are discussing the distinction

         gentlemen   or 'amateur' and
         PRO

Thanks to T. Fjeld for his interesting comments:

?performer, which  all well and good, except sports were born as vulgar
games by the common  folk, gentrified and manicured, reinvented as
pasttimes for amateurs (a kind  of bodily art-pour-l'art), and finally, as
Bourdieu knew, returned to the  masses as spectacles. At which point they
are no longer games, perhaps, but  more like plays -- producing a
catharctic effect, pace Geary's sports fan --  . What is the role of the
gentleman in sports today expect providing the kind  of philosophical
alibi that secures the monopolistic capacity to define the  body and its
uses to the masses."

I agree. I was trying to make fun of this silly distinction -- apparently
first made in 1806, in Cricket between

              Gentlemen vs Players

-- As a gentleman I would be offended if I were thought of as not being
'playing' the game. I think it should be recalled:

             Gentlemen vs. Mercenaries

-- or something like that.

More quotes in the OED

'gentleman'  -- spec. in Cricket: a non-professional  player (opp. PLAYER
2c).

1806 in F. LILLYWHITE Cricket Scores & Biographies 1746-1826  (1862) I. 328

This being the first match between the Gentlemen and the  Players.

--- Note that the OED is being self-contradictory at worst and redundant at
best:

         if 'gentleman' =df  'non-professional player'

then the match is

               non-professional player vs. player

which means that we have to expland 'player':

          'player' =df  professional player

which is something I won't! Why, we might just as well expand to meaning of
'philosopher' to include just those doing the gradings in, say, cruises, and
excluding Geary's milkman ("who always come up with some Cynic philosophical
remark or other").

1884 Lillywhite's Cricket Ann. 29 The  two matches between the Gentlemen and
Players.

1891 [see  PLAYER1  2c].

1966  Listener 25 Aug. 265/2
The social split..which I have described as the amateur and  gentleman versus
the professional and player.

-- I am reminded that when the Times of London published the (horribly)
anonymous (why should obits have to be anonymous -- we think it was Peter
Strawson, though) obit of Grice, the title was "Amateur cricketer and
professional
philosopher": puajj! One cliche after the other -- sad when you  have just two
expressions.

1971 A. PRICE Alamut Ambush xii. 140
That calculated..amateurishness of Thathe flouting of the rules to prove that
 he was a gentleman rather than a player.

I like the mention of 'flout' -- a favourite word with Grice, when he would
say that you 'flout' the truthfulness maxim when you try to be ironic. Or you
flout Kant's imperative categorical when you send a whole race to a
concentration camp.

 c. Sport  (orig. and chiefly Cricket).
A professional (as opposed to an amateur). Usu. opposed to gentleman
(GENTLEMAN n. 4a). Also  fig. Now chiefly hist.
In cricket, the  distinction between gentlemen and players was abolished in
1963.

1806 in F. Lillywhite Cricket Scores & Biogr. 1746-1826 (1862) I.  328
This being the first match between the Gentlemen  and the Players.

1861 T. HUGHES Tom Brown at Oxf. I. xii,  ‘Try..cricket, for instance. The
players generally beat the  gentlemen, don't they?’ ‘Yes; but they are
professionals.’

1884 Lillywhite's  Cricket Ann. 29
The two matches between the Gentlemen and Players.

1895 Daily News 1 Aug. 6/2 England has generally the better  of Scotland,
both in the Amateur and Player [Golf] Championships.

1963  Times 1 Feb. 4/2
Now that the amateur has no place in representative  cricket, M.C.C. have to
find another match to replace Gentlemen v. Players.

1978 B. LEVIN in K. Gregory First Cuckoo 12
We are all, gentlemen and players  alike, engaged in the business..of
expressing our views to thousands, or even  millions, of people who have not
invited
us to do so.
1987 E. R. DEXTER in M. Marshall Gentlemen & Players p. xi,
As a As a <Nand especially when playing for the  especialI knew I was up
against the best  challenge in the country because, throughout my career, there
were only a few  good amateur bowlers and the Players attack was as good as
you'd find in any  Test side.

1991  Catalyst (Rover Cars) 27/1
The Victorians gave to sport their particular  imprint of The Victand class.
Only a few years ago were we  rid of the ‘Gentlemen and Players’ syndrome, a
very British form of ‘apartheid’.