[lit-ideas] Geary's Silence

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:46:24 EDT

Julie:
"Have you ever had an idea you had a good deal of trouble putting into  words,
explaining to someone?  An intuitive kind of idea?  An "aha"  moment?"

Reminds me (slightly) of "A Mad Tea Party"

"'You should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice
hastily replied; `at least--at least I mean what I say--that's the same thing,
you
know.' `Not the same thing a bit!'

Here we have two realms, perhaps three

            SAYING              MEANING             THINKING
       (expressiong)        (intending to say)

              A                         B                         C

Under normal circumstances, the only behavioural evidence we have is the
utterer _having said_ something or otherwise expressed it.

 SAYING              MEANING             THINKING
       (expressiong)        (intending to say)

              [Zero]                     B                         C

This above would represent what Julie Krueger has as the 'aha' moment. She
has the thought, she has the intention to say it, but she won't. Therefore,
there's no evidence, and no way of telling. She may complain:

"Oh, ... but it is an 'aha' thing. I have it on the tip of my tongue. It  was
to do with some color ... or an obsolete word ... or a song my father used
to sing..."

Etc.-- AND *THAT* constitutes behavioural evidence, out of which we can
create a set of meanings and a set of thinkings. But not if she remains silent,

as Wittgenstein often did, and in the middle of the paying seminars, too.

Cheers,

JL