[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Lighting Fools: Reflections on an Image in Macbet...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:31:45 EST

"She was always good company -- a little heavy with the lipstick maybe, a
little less than choosy about men and booze, a little loud, but great at a
party
 and always good for a laugh.  Then the prophet Hosea came along wearing a
sandwich board that read 'The End Is at Hand' on one side and 'Watch Out' on
the  other.  The first time he asked her to marry him, she thought he was
kidding.  The second time she knew he was serious but thought he was  crazy.
The
third time she said yes.  He wasn't exactly a swinger, but  he had a kind face,
and he was generous, and he wasn't all that crazier than  everybody else.
Besides, any fool could see he loved her.  Give or  take a little, she even
loved him back for a while and they had three children  whom Hosea named with
queer names like
Not-pitied-for-God-will-no-longer-pity-Israel-now-that-it's-gone-to-the-dogs so
 that every time the roll was called at school, Hosea would be
scoring a  prophetic bullseye in absentia.  But everybody could see the
marriage  wasn't going to last, and it didn't.  While Hosea was off hitting the

sawdust trail, Gomer took to hitting as many night spots as she could squeeze
into a night, and any resemblance between her next batch of children and Hosea
was purely coincidental.  It almost killed him, of course.  Every time  he
raised a hand to her, he burst into tears.  Every time she raised one to  him,
he was the one who ended up apologizing.  He tried locking her out of  the
house a few times when she wasn't in by five in the morning, but he always
opened
the door when she finally showed up and helped get her to bed if she
couldn't see straight enough to get there herself.  Then one day she didn't
show up
at all.  He swore that this time he was through with her for keeps,  but of
course he wasn't.  When he finally found her, she was lying passed  out in a
highly specialized establishment located above an adult bookstore, and  he had
pay the management plenty to let her out of her contract.  She'd  lost her
front teeth and picked up some scars you had to see to believe, but  Hosea had
her back again and that seemed to be all that mattered.  He  changed his
sandwich board to read 'God Is Love' on one side and 'There's No End  to It' on
the
other, and when he stood on the street corner belting out

    How can I give you up, O Ephraim!
    How can I hand you over, O Israel!
    For I am God and not man,
    The Holy One in your midst
                                        (Hosea  11:8-9)

nobody can say how many converts he made, but one thing that's for sure is
that, including Gomer's there was seldom a dry eye in the house.
                (Hosea  1-3, 11)"

"Peculiar Treasures", Frederick Buechner

Julie Krueger