[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Can, logically, there be any such thing as a "performative co...

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 16:43:40 -0700

Richard Henninge wrote

What about "the Undersigned hereby promises to undersign no promises" as a performative contradiction? By signing it one promises not to do X and one does X at the same time (X = to undersign a promise). One violates the terms of an agreement or contract by entering into the agreement or contract. Engagement entails violation, or, you make a commitment by breaking it.

Peter Geach used to play the following game with his children. (It would probably work with philosophers too.)

Instructions and rules:

'When I say something true, you are to raise your right hand.'

'When I say something false, you're to raise your left hand.'

All proceeds well Geach says, 'Your left hand is in the air.'

I tried this with my son when he was around six. In response to the problematic utterance, he thought for a couple of seconds, then said, 'Can't do it.'

I'd imagine that this is a game that for any unique pair of utterers and responders can be played only once, although...

Frege's last words: 'Paradoxes don't really interest me.'

Robert Paul