[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama's view of the Islamist threat

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:53:08 -0700

Judy,

By cherry pick do you mean the following?

Employment-Based Immigrants. Up to 140,000 visas in five preference
categories, including:

*       "Priority workers," including professors and researchers; executives
and managers of multinational corporations; etc.
*       Professionals with advanced degrees
*       Skilled workers, other professionals, and "other workers"
*       "Special immigrants," such as ministers of religion, foreign medical
graduates, etc.
*       Investors

[From    <http://www.closeup.org/immigrat.htm#uslaws>
http://www.closeup.org/immigrat.htm#uslaws ]

You've got to admit that these guys are less likely to blow themselves up
than some of the guys you let into Europe.  Some Europeans are offended by
our approach but Holland has seen the wisdom of our ways.

I thought it would be understood that in referring to the European
immigration situation I wasn't intending to mean that every Muslim without
exception in every European nation without exception does thus and so.
However I doubt that any nation that has "istan" tacked to its capital is
likely to be as squeaky clean as you suggest:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594031444/102-0982399-1946545?n=283155

Lawrence