[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama's view of the Islamist threat

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:32:43 -0700

I didn't have Huntington in mind when I referred to Fukuyama's strange lapse
in understanding.  I wasn't thinking about a counter theory but of the facts
of the threat as described by a number of reputable experts (I had in mind
creating another "roll call" list of the aforesaid "reputable experts" but I
didn't want to offend Omar once again).   Not only is Islamism silencing
traditional Islam in the Middle East (as evidenced by the facts that
Moderates* do not speak up there) but it is spreading to Europe.  Muslims
aren't going to Europe to be infected by the virus of Western culture (which
seems to be largely true of Muslims coming to the U.S.) but instead are
retaining their culture and living in enclaves.

*unless one uses the definition provided in the Carnegie paper, "Islamist
Movements and the Democratic Process in the Arab World"
[http://www.carnegieendowment.org/files/CP67.Brown.FINAL.pdf  ]   that we
looked at awhile back.  Mainstream Islamist movements (according to the
paper, they admit somewhat apologetically) can have, in effect, the same
goals as the Militant Islamists as long as they pursue them peacefully.

Lawrence