[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama writes on

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:26:03 -0800

I appreciated Fukuyama's article and agree with it as far as it goes - sort
of.  He is saying the Europeans should worry more about their Islamist
problem than Americans.  He disapproves of alarmists like Pat Buchanan.  I
agree with both of those positions.  However, he sort of leaves it that we
have nothing really to worry about here in America since we are so good at
integrating our immigrants.  The problems are all over there.

We do have to worry about Islamist terrorist attacks and that problem is
"over there" only if we keep it over there.  We do have to worry about
Iran's nuclear program and about their support of Islamist terrorist
organizations.  We do have to worry about Iran attacking our allies in the
Middle east and in Europe.  The present Iranian President, Ahmadinejad,
threatened to bomb both Israel and Britain when he was head of the Pasdaran.
He spoke of something like 29 targets in America that their newly purchased
and improved Russian missiles can reach.  He was one of the most hawkish
leaders in Iran, and so they made him President.  That does not look good to
this alarmist.  I'll grant that Western Europe needs to be worried more than
they have been about their home-grown terrorists, but we have things to
worry about as well.

Lawrence