[lit-ideas] Re: Form in literature

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:55:35 -0700

Le 23 ao=FBt 04, =E0 22:14, Scribe1865@xxxxxxx a =E9crit :

> <snip>
>
> To say that form detracts from content is nonsense, in my opinion.=20
> Without
> form, no amount of fine writing or brilliant content will save a piece=20=

> of
> fiction--no matter whether you are talking about traditional narrative=20=

> forms or
> modern modular narrative forms.

M.C. I don't think anybody is arguing - certainly not Turner/Fauconnier=20=

- that we can simply "do without" form.

>  Form and meaning are integral, so "form" cannot
> really be overemphasized.

M.C. Is this argument really valid=A0? We could state it schematically =
as=20
follows =A0: "If x (form) and y (content) are integral to something, =
then=20
it's impossible to overemphasize x or y=93.  Yet surely it is at least=20=

*logically* possible for me (1) to agree that both oil and vinegar are=20=

integral to making salad dressing, and yet for me to also say (2)  =93and=20=

you need at least one hundred times as much vinegar as you do oil to=20
make a good dressing". Surely in these statements I'm *both* admitting=20=

that oil and vinegar are integral to dressing, *and* overemphasizing=20
the importance of vinegar.

        Turner-Fauconnier argue that form, although integral, has been=20=

overemphasized. This claim may be true, false, or exaggerated, but it's=20=

certainly not nonsense.

        Read the book=A0; then you can tell us whether it's nonsense or =
not.

        Best, Mike

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)