[lit-ideas] Re: Forbes Family

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:13:29 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 2, 2004 3:11 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Forbes Family

on 7/30/04 11:12 AM, Judy Evans at judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> PDJ> I learned something listening to the Democratic convention last night:
> PDJ> that John F. Kerry's middle name is Forbes and that he is, indeed, a
> PDJ> Forbes on his mother's side.
>
> are our media, simply, very much better than yours? I've known since
> before John Kerry announced he would run. I did know the precise
> details but have forgotten them -- but you are correct in thinking he
> is not a "filthy rich Forbes".

Forbes is an old name and was once pronounced "Forbas" or "Forbose" or
"Forebess" or "Forbss."  In 1917 Keith Leask wrote of:

"unsanctified snobs
That could mangle the sound of a fine Scottish name
And whittle it down into --Fobbs."

Kerre is, of course, a name from the Borders.

All of which adds up to John Kerry being part Scot, possibly part Irish and
part Catholicised Alsatian Jew.

A.A. The converted Alsatian Jew was the grandfather who killed himself (shot
himself in a hotel men's room over a financial failure).  Kerry's father never
got over it.  Kerry's mother is a direct descendant of the first Governor of
Massachusetts, John Winthrop.  Mother's maiden name is Forbes, but because she
was one of 11 children, there was no fortune.  Aunt Winthrop paid for Kerry's
education.

Andy Amago

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon