[lit-ideas] Re: Forbes Family

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 00:18:23 +0100

Monday, August 2, 2004, 8:11:18 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

>> are our media, simply, very much better than yours? I've known since
>> before John Kerry announced he would run. I did know the precise
>> details but have forgotten them -- but you are correct in thinking he
>> is not a "filthy rich Forbes".

DR> Forbes is an old name and was once pronounced "Forbas" or "Forbose" or
DR> "Forebess" or "Forbss."  In 1917 Keith Leask wrote of:

(cut)

DR> All of which adds up to John Kerry being part Scot, possibly part Irish and
DR> part Catholicised Alsatian Jew.

The "Kerry"'s Jewish -- Kohn -- his paternal grandfather and possibly
his grandmother.

I thought his Forbes (mother) was a cadet branch of *The* Forbes'
family -- his are Forbes/Winthrop -- but perhaps not;  he and hisa
parents were a lot poorer than either of his wives.

- the only Forbes I know at all well is English of Scottish origin --
he says

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx