[lit-ideas] For the Frontpage People

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:22:49 -0400

>Eternity: This made me think of all the people who would prefer to
>hold,  tight-fisted,
>to what they have.  To those who do not know how to share,  how to assist the
>Other to achieve the dreams that were had when they were  young, or, even to
>go to a Young One and ask what the dream is and to assist in  making it
>possible...

Holding on to what one has -- tight-fisted -- is different than GETTING it
in the first place and deciding to do what I want with it. I contribute to
charities, voluntarily and at whatever rate I can at the time they solicit
my help. A couple of months ago, I had to buy all new tires and new brakes
for my car. I wasn't so generous that month. That's not being greedy,
that's being fiscally responsible. If a man on the street asks me for a
buck, I give it to him, unless I don't have any change. If a friend wanted
me to give him 50 bucks, I would do it, unless it was my last 50 and I had
to pay the water bill. I give tips to waiters/waitresses in accordance with
their service. I can't afford to go to places where the 'gratuity' is
included in the price. If I could, I would probably object just in
principle but grudgingly pay the bill, afterall, I'd be RICH!!!

These decisions are not based on greed... this is common sense.

In today's society, pretty much one's whole life literally revolves around
obtaining money so that one can live to the best of one's ability. I'm not
talking about conspicuous consumption, I'm talking about making ends meet
with as many of the modern comforts one can afford. If there's some left
over, most people are generous to some degree.

When the government takes half my money without giving me ANY choice, I
bitch about it... especially since most of the stuff they are taking my
money to pay for, I don't agree with and would never contribute to
voluntarily. It's all about freedom to choose, and I don't  feel like I
have that freedom most days.

>It made me think of those who are still unable to see the good in the  Little
>Ones, who blame the little ones for not being able to achieve their  dreams

[singing] "I believe the children are our future"

In the real world, people, i.e. "little ones" simply CAN'T achieve their
dreams. I think we do a disservice to them to teach them that 'anything is
possible'. I think we definitely HARM them by punishing them for falling
short. IN the real world, most things are NOT possible. MOST dreams go
unfulfilled. That's why they are called dreams.

>Thinking Frontpage people need to reread the books by  Dickens,
>Marlena in Missouri

NOBODY needs to re-read the books by Dickens. That would a fate worse than
life.

not a front-pager... yet, but wait until "Moan Tangle" makes it big!!!
Dreaming I was on the cover of the Rolling Stone, OOh, Beautiful!

paul

p.s. I suggest we all read Auden's "Musee des Beaux Arts".

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada