[lit-ideas] For Julie

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:48:05 +0900

So much of American politics is downright dirty and ugly. But, now and
again, something really beautiful happens. Don't mess the wonderful
message from a Florida poll worker sent to Josh Marshall:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2004_10_31.php#003880

The two paragraphs that turned me all teary were,

"The best of all was an 80 year old African American man who said to
me: =81gWhen I first started I wasn=81ft even allowed to vote. Then, =
when I
did, they was trying to intimidate me. But now I see all these folks
here to make sure that my vote counts. This is the first time in my
life that I feel like when I cast my vote it=81fs actually gonna be
heard.=81h

"To see people coming out =81\ elderly, disabled, blind, poor; people =
who
have to hitch rides, take buses, etc =81\ and then staying in line for
hours and hours and hours... Well, it=81fs humbling. And it=81fs =
awesome. And
it=81fs kind of beautiful."

John L. McCreery
International Vice Chair, Democrats Abroad

Tel 81-45-314-9324
Email mccreery@xxxxxxx

>> Life isn't fair. Democracy should be. <<

To learn more about Democrats Abroad, see these websites

        In Japan: http://www.demsjapan.jp
        Worldwide: http://www.democratsabroad.org=