[lit-ideas] Fodor on Pinker on evolutionary psychology &c.

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:28:16 -0800

In 1998, Jerry Fodor reviewed two books, /How the Mind Works/, by Steven Pinker, and /Evolution in Mind/, by Henry Plotkin, in an article titled, 'The Trouble with Psychological Darwinism' /(London Review of Books/,

22 January 1998.)

His review was featured on the current website of the NRB, or at least on a page I reached while looking
for a 'special offer' subscription, news of which came in my email today.

Fodor's piece appeared around fourteen years ago, and Pinker's book (I'm not sure about Plotkin's) has been reviewed and discussed widely since then, by both philosophers and psychologists, but I like to read Fodor, who writes clearly and perceptively, so, even though the issues and theories he wrote of in 1998 may have been revised, abandoned, improved upon, or forgotten, I liked this piece and thought others might find
it of mild interest too.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v20/n02/jerry-fodor/the-trouble-with-psychological-darwinism

Robert Paul,
somewhere south of Reed College