[lit-ideas] Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:07:27 -0800

comes that time
interrupting whatever state of pain or pleasure you find yourself in
for me to say something not of great import
enough for a sunday

i dip the memory bucket into last week's waters
let my mind go blank and instantly
like marcel proust i am assaulted by a smell
that of fresh cat poo
our new friend sonsie
does not go outdoors

no
i will not write of poo of cat

i send my inspiration request in again
wait
patiently

now here comes an image
a student sitting in the window of the dog exercise shop beside the school late
one morning
it's one of those canine romping spots where you pay by the hour
she was from last semester's weapons class
ginger haired
bright
inseparable friend of that other girl
who talked of horses

there's a space at the front of the shop to show off cats
those who are waiting for adoption
thus to be clear
a ginger haired girl with a ginger cat on her lap
sitting in a window
smiling
stroking
really quite striking

when next i passed the shop the student was of course gone
but the cat came over to say hello
to chat

the next time
it did the same

in spite of having just got sonsi
it occurred to me to inquire about this other cat
nine years old
very fond of dogs and children
all that

i thought