[lit-ideas] Re: Flotilla Qhoir: "We Con the World"

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 20:18:07 -0700

As to the "ACTUAL weapons," the following is from CNN:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/02/netanyahu-defends-response-says-flotill
a-not-a-love-boat/

"The prime minister said that if the blockade had been penetrated, dozens or
hundreds of ships would have eventually converged on Gaza carrying war
materiel. And he pointed out that the amount would be greater than that
being smuggled through the Gaza-Egyptian tunnels.
"They can bring hundreds of rockets and hundreds of missiles. We have
already stopped two ships. One of them was one we stopped in the middle of
the sea where there were hundreds of tons of ammunition and weapons that
Iran sent to Gaza," Netanyahu said.
Netanyahu said Iran continues to smuggle weapons into Gaza and Hamas - which
controls the territory - continues to arm itself.
"The rockets and missiles that Iran has smuggled into Gaza are now likely to
hit areas surrounding Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and some of those are already in
Gaza. Therefore, it is our duty and our responsibility according to the
international law and according to the logic, common sense, to prevent by
air, sea and land smuggling of weapons into Gaza."
Netanyahu said Israel is sorry for the loss of lives during the flotilla
raid but emphasized its soldiers were facing "a life-threatening situation."
Lawrence