[lit-ideas] "-Er" Words and Essences

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:30:08 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/2004 4:28:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>  Exactly. Note that a computer, essentially, computes.

No, it doesn't -  not anymore than we might say a computer "essentially"
remains in stand-by  mode, or switched off at night, or in a skip or rubbish
heap when it is  junked, or "essentially" excites the wrath of the user to the
point they  want to kick its windscreen in.

> While a word-processor  word-processes (words).

Not anymore than it "essentially" reflects  light, costs money, will break
down eventually  etc.

-----

Okay. We seem to face here a big misunderstanding.

It is my contention that, in English, words ending in "-er" signal the
essence of the referent.

E.g. "Britney Spears is a singer" signifies her essence.

As Liza Minnelli once put it,

    "Problem with America, is that they pigeonhole. If you  sing, you are a
singer; if you dance, you are a dancer; if you act, you are an  actress. And
I'm good at the three. How do you call me?"

Cheers,

JL