[lit-ideas] Re: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:46:50 EST

In a message dated 3/5/2009 4:30:57 A.M. Eastern  Standard Time,
cblists@xxxxxxxx writes:
> ... Oddly 'kleine' means  _clean_.

Oddly indeed - but not in German ...

----

I take  the bit about 'musiken'. Indeed, 'music' is a confused concept in
English, and  I'm glad the Germans found clarity for it.

"I love that song," she said  -- after I played the Brahms piece of piano
variation on a theme by  Bellini.

"I love Mendelsohn's 'wordless'  song".

Etc.

----

To consider the fossilised implicature in  German we need some background:

English 'clean'.

From a Common  Teutonic root.

Old English clne:

preh.

from hypothetical  cláni-

Cfr. West Ger. hypothetical form *klaini:

cf. Old Saxon  clêni, cleini,

Old Frisian clêne, cleine,

Middle Dutch Middle  Low German cleine, clêne,

Low German. and Dutch kleén, klein,

Old High German chleini clear, pure, CLEAN, neat, delicate, fine, tiny,
small, puny,

Middle HIgh German. klein(e, mod.German klein.

Also  Icelandic klénn snug, little, puny, Swedish klen thin, slight, weak,
Danish  klein, weak.

The OED is clear about it:

"The  original [and only. JLS -- 'do not multiply senses beyond necessity'
Grice]

sense was ‘clear, pure’ ("Cleanliness is next to Godliness")

Old  High German shows how this passed [via conversational implicature, but
never  part of the 'sense' JLS] into the modern German [non-standard 'use'].

The  orig. sense is more nearly retained in English.

Since "Music" just  means (originally and uniquely) 'something related to the
Greek Mousai, the  purest of goddesses, I take the 'pure and clean' sense
even more  seriously.

How the conversational implicature arose.

(ONLY in  High German) -- via 'metaphor' which is a 'narrowing' or
'broadening' of the  original concept.

If something (x) is clean, x is _small_. Every person  involved in home
cleaning services understands that. ("It's impossible to keep  this huge
mansion
totally clean -- I need to hire like 5 workers to do the job  -- every day").

Now Dallapiccola was trying to be fun when he wrote the  piccola musica
notturna.

Cheers,

JL

steps!