[lit-ideas] Re: Earthlink

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:33:35 -0700

I have recommended Earthlink to people.  I now cease to do so.

We lost service.  Their "award winning" customer support spent four
hours--two rounds because the first guy made no notes and blamed my
computer, the software or possibly the phone company-- in repetitive
exercises in futility, trashing files and asking me to re-key settings.  All
pretty normal runaround in these times.  Then I made the cosmic leap to the
next level of problem solver; I was awarded a "ticket number."  I was also
sent two "How did we do?" e-mails.

Three days later my ticket number came up and Earthlink called me.  I
explained that we had managed to download mail once during the day and that
we had web service from time to time.  "Well," he said, "that means it's
working."  I took him slowly through the tale of woe and he finally agreed
that there is a problem.  His solution?  He will call back in twenty four
hours to see how things are coming.  I explain that I will not be home in
twenty four hours.  "O.K. then, you call us during the afternoon."

I call, as promised.  The guy says, "That ticket has been closed."  I ask
how this can be.  He said, "They close automatically after twenty four
hours."  I explain that it hasn't been twenty four hours.  He says, "Yes it
has."  I say, "But the fellow called yesterday evening at about seven
o'clock and it's now about four o'clock."  "No," the guy says, "he called at
seven EASTERN time."  I said that I was having dinner at the time and it's
not my practice to eat dinner at four pm pacific time.  Thus, the evidence
points towards a data entry error.  So well trained in customer service was
this fellow that he wanted to continue to argue about what time the other
guy called.

His best suggestion for fixing the problem?  Return to zero and get another
ticket number.  Only when I had a new number could he talk with me.  He was
just like John Cleese in the argument sketch.  I said that I had another
idea--find another DSL provider.

Which I may do when I return from Canada.  Friday, Sat, Sun, I will be
visiting Vancouver.  Before then, relatives.

Too bad you can't get the candidates to fall off things; last one standing
gets the job.

D.