[lit-ideas] Re: Dishes

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:37:22 -0800

So here's a question that's important to living: what do you consider good
dishes music, which is to say good music for washing the dishes.  Ideally the
removal of grease and so on is a task you do in company, aided by conversation.
 Machines help, but there are some things machines can't do.  Pots, for
example.  Thus we have the existential situation, the lone person at the sink,
elbow deep in grudge and drudge.  Music and detergent take the edge off.  But
what music goes with?

The idea that there is such a thing as dishes music is rooted in the movie "The
Big Chill."  In that, dishes people dance through drudgery, white folk getting
into Motown like extras picking cotton on stage in a musical.

What for me goes with?  Laurie Anderson used to be a favorite, "Strange
Angels."  And then, Ry Cooder, "Meeting by a River."   Now I reach for
something in the history of hawaiian steel guitar or Oliver Mtukudzi, "Tuku
Music."

What, no bagpipes?

How about you?

David Ritchie,