[lit-ideas] Re: Dead Slow in Port

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:52:44 -0800

On Jan 12, 2007, at 7:34 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

David Ritchie says

Just remember that Port circulates to the left. (Sorry, Lawrence.)

Which is easy to remember...because port, as sailors know, is not only where your best girl lies; it is in fact on the left Starboards, by contrast, are what connoisseurs form their rarest jello on.

David is closer to Liner & Elsen's shop than I am, so perhaps he could
get some recommendations for Ursula in the morning. Do they ship to
Canada? Maybe not, but now that the Coast Guard has cancelled its plans
to hold firing exercises on the Great Lakes, perhaps that boat in David's side yard could be sent up and across via the Northwest Passage, once it is found.

There is, of course, a connection between price and quality, but the fun of the wine hunt is that now and then you find something of excellent quality that the market has yet to discover.

In closing, David reports that he has just

returned from standing on Yamhill County's largest erratic

See, then http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_135.php

What Our Correspondent was doing in Yamhill County is easily explained at

http://www.winesnw.com/will.html

It was a grand day out. My father and I looked down from the erratic upon a wonderful undulating patchwork of snowy and bare fields, pruned vines lined in rows, with Mount Hood in the distance. The sun was out. We had wrapped up well and chosen sensible socks. The dog, who came along for the ride, caught snowballs six foot off the ground. licked his lips and grinned.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon