[lit-ideas] Re: Das Klittern

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:45:00 -0500

Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> S. Cameron replies:
>

>>Perhaps: "has a history of bias" or maybe "historically  biased"??
>

> ---
>
> I tried an OED search for 'klittern', and I retrieved the entry for English
> 'clitter'. How it got to mean _bias_ in German (if that's what it means)
> escapes  me.

**This may help (only one of the German dictionaries in our house
contained it):

_Schöffler-Weis Deutsch-English Wörterbuch_, Weis, Erwin; Ernst Kleg
Verlag: Stuttgart, 1951. page 386

        "bias(s)ed account of historical events"

**A German language dictionary of the OED caliber would be useful --
does anyone know of one??

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ (deferring to lingual maven Speranza)