[lit-ideas] Das Klittern

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:38:23 EST

M. Chase inquires:

>>Would some kind Germanic soul please tell me what
>>geschichtsklitternd means? I suspect it means roughly "tendentious",

S. Cameron replies:

>Perhaps: "has a history of bias" or maybe "historically  biased"??

---

I tried an OED search for 'klittern', and I retrieved the entry for English
'clitter'. How it got to mean _bias_ in German (if that's what it means)
escapes  me.

JL
    A Germanist soul.

----

from the OED

'clitter':

A parallel form to CLATTER expressing a more  attenuated action of the same
kind; cf. chitter, chatter,  jibber, jabber, etc. Cf. also Ger. klittern, and
its relations to  klattern.]