[lit-ideas] Re: Darfur

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 07:51:50 -0700 (PDT)

I think it is good that Steven and other protest to
draw attention to the issue, but what exactly should
White House for example do? To my knowledge: Sudan is
already under every US sanction, I work for an US
corporation and Sudan is in the list of nations where
exporting practically anything is a big no, no. Unlike
in some other crises, no major power is backing Sudan.
UN, EU, US, etc. diplomats have been trying to get a
peace deal done with some success, apparently the
Darfur rebels are a mixed bunch as usual, making
negotiations hard even if Khartum can be pressured to
compromise.

There are African Union peace keepers on ground which
will be changed to UN peace keepers, but a full scale
operation would practically mean an invasion and I am
pretty sure we don't want that either. As former
Finnish president and current full time peace
negotiator Martti Ahtisaari put it during Aceh peace
talks: If the parties want to negotiate everything is
possible. If not, nothing is possible.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland