[lit-ideas] Dantoiana

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:45:33 -0400 (EDT)

The transfiguration of the commonplace, or Dantoian implicature made  basic.

Gricean and Griceian
Dantoan and Dantoian

-- and Dantoiana -- or Dantoana

Danto thought that there were 'basic actions' -- e.g. 'raising my  hand'.

An online essay equivocates, and notes that Danto was possibly wrong --
while Aristotle was possibly right: there are no basic actions.

[PDF]
Must There Be Basic Action? - DASH - Harvard University
dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/.../Lavin_Basic_Action_DASH.pdf?...‎
by D Lavin - ‎2012 - ‎Cited by 3 - ‎Related articles
Arthur Danto gave  early expression to this way of thinking about the
structure ... there must be  basic action, it must regard our relation to the
progress of our own ...

The NYT obituary (I think) mentions that Danto was a pretty traditional
analytic philosopher till he saw the Brillo box by Warhol --.

The Wikipedia article has a column which includes: Danto: influenced by...
Merleau Ponty, influenced this and that philosopher. There is also a list
of his  'main ideas': not just 'basic action' (which I love) -- and it fails
to mention  narratology -- but it mentions 'indiscernibles'. So what we
perhaps should need  is a list of his publications, and a rather complete one.

The Nation is featuring an interesting essay on "remembering Danto" -- or
Danto remembered.

Etc.

In a message dated 10/28/2013 11:08:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx quotes from M. Spark as quoted by A. C. Danto -- 'the
transfiguration of the commonplace'.
SPARK:

"I invented the title  because
I felt it was a description of creative art as
I myself practice  it" (Spark's Letter to Danto, 23 November, 1973).

Danto: "It
is also a description of creative art as practiced  by
me."

Thanks.

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote "Dantoniana" --. The proper
adjective seems to be

Dantoan, or Dantoian, -- and hence the neuter plural (things related to
Danto) being as per subject header now.

Cheers,

Speranza

------