[lit-ideas] Re: Convention

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:43:45 -0700

More from NYC.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

Hi all,

I'm in New York at the GOP Convention and have just been scanning a few
TV stations. The coverage is horrible. Approximately 500,000 people
flooded the streets of NY on Sunday. Grandmas, kids, conservatives,
etc...but the media focused on a few arrests and a paper mache dragon
that was set on fire for 10 minutes.

Last night, my boyfriend and I met up with two Bay Area people (one
holding an anti-Bush sign) and decided to walk around Madison Square
Gardens and Times Square. We stumbled upon a GOP party at a hotel. A
slew of delegates were in front. It's not everyday that we're
surrounded by Republican in San Francisco, so we decided to walk by and
were immediately accosted by about 10 cops - one rushed us with a billy
club. I'm holding a laptop in one hand and my boyfriend's in the other.
No bandanas or signs. Apparently, we entered the "frozen zone." The
cops told us the Secret Service doesn't want anyone with an anti-Bush
sign or shirts to enter the "delegate area." This was on the sidewalk!!
They threatened to arrest us if we didn't leave the scene immediately.

Then we met a girl who stood outside of the same hotel  for three hours
holding a sign that read: "My Mom Earns $5.15/hour - My dad's job was
outsourced - They have no healthcare - Thanks Mr. President" - she was
told she couldn't hold her sign directly in front of the hotel and was
almost arrested - she cried and was finally allowed to hold her sign
down the street from the hotel because "I'm 5'2 and white." We rode
with her on the train and a few delegates accused her of lying. "Your
mom doesn't make $5.15/hour."

Needless to say, I was shocked.

If you'd like to read about what's really happening at the convention
and on the streets, check out:
http://democracynow.org/
Also, Your Call is about to air - we'll have a bunch of guests from the
streets. We'll also be talking to a gay rights group who said they
didn't put a lot of resources into sending members to NY because they
didn't want to abide by the "free speech zone" laws and knew they
wouldn't get much press.
The Log Cabin Republicans are deciding whether they will endorse Bush.
http://www.logcabin.org/logcabin/index.html

Yesterday we spoke to everyone from Republicans for Choice to the
Christian Coalition about the GOP platform. The editors of American
Conservative Magazine - Pat Buchanan's magazine - came on to say
they're voting Democrat for the first time.
http://www.amconmag.com/
http://www.yourcallradio.org/

We're meeting a lot of great people from the Bay Area.

-Rose