[lit-ideas] Re: "Colourless Objects" (Was: Wittgenstein'sUniverse)

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:09:00 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
Sent: May 20, 2004 8:15 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: "Colourless Objects" (Was: Wittgenstein's Universe=
)

R. Paul refutes Geary's view about the 'blue wave-length' ('lenghts are=20
_not_, let alone _blue_) and adds as per exegesis:
>By the way, there is no such thing as 'colour,' and hasn't been since 1727=
.

Aha. So, it's just a matter of a chronological index. I propose: [excuse my=
=20
Austrian accent]

      "Beilaufig gesprochen: Die Gegenstande sind farblos
       -- seit 1727."=20
      (Wittgenstein, TLP 2.0232)

Only he possibly did not write that lest it confuse the common reader=20
(notably Russell).

Interstingly, dogs also do not perceive colours. I wonder if Wittgenstein's=
=20
message is that we are more animals than we think (we are)?

A.A.  Perceiving color has nothing to do with being more or less developed.=
  People who are color blind organize information differently in their brai=
ns than those who perceive color.  Not better, not worse, but differently. =
 Likewise the deaf from birth who learn sign language beginning in infancy,=
 the way hearing infants do, organize information more spatially than heari=
ng people's brains.  There is, if I remember correctly, less "left brain/ri=
ght brain" distinction.   (I'm referring to Oliver Sach's book Seeing Voice=
s.)  This gives signing deaf people a distinct advantage over hearing peopl=
e in some fields (such as architecture and physics I believe but I'd have t=
o dig up the book to be sure).  Sachs makes the comparison that the hearing=
 and the signing deaf live as if in two separate dimensions.  The signing d=
eaf "hear" voices in the way we "see" voices.  If there is a difference bet=
ween the hearing and the signing deaf, it is that they are a minority and t=
he world does not accommodate their uniqueness. =20

On the other hand, deaf children who are not diagnosed at birth or soon the=
reafter and do not learn sign language are *profoundly* disadvantaged, as e=
ssentially they learn no language at all.  They literally live in a silent =
void unable to formulate even such concepts as "chair" and "table".  Withou=
t language there is no thought, precluding the ability to communicate even =
with one's self.  One of the biggest opponents of sign language, interestin=
gly, was Alexander Graham Bell, who did tremendous damage to deaf people. =
=20

Lest my point be lost, the ability to see color, as the ability to hear, is=
 not necessarily a sign of a more developed brain, but simply a different b=
rain, and not necessarily a better brain.

Andy

Cheers,

JL