[lit-ideas] Re: Christian fundamentalists

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 07:30:10 -0600

Christian fundamentalists distressed Bruce Bawer too, so much so that he left the U.S. to live in enlightened, tolerant, secular Europe. Only to find an Islamist "religious right" that did more than scare him. He wrote in While Europe Slept that “Falwell was an unsavory creep, but he didn't issue fatwas. James Dobson's parenting advice was appalling, but he wasn't telling people to murder their daughters... Pat Robertson wanted to deny me marriage; the imams wanted to drop a wall on me. I wasn't fond of the hypocritical conservative-Christian line about hating the sin and loving the sinner, but it was preferable to the forthright fundamental Muslim view that homosexuals merited death.”

Brian
Birmingham

On Jan 3, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

Christian fundamentalists distress me to no end. I see their ascendancy as a real threat to freedoms of this country, but do not want to vaporize them. I prefer to come to understand their fears and find ways to ally those fears so that they don't feel threatened.