[lit-ideas] Christian Nudists? Have they gone too far?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:00:15 -0800

Hey, next they'll snorting cocaine in the Name of Christ.

CHRISTIANS STRIP TO BUILD A NEW EDEN
By Tony Allen-Mills
The Sunday Times
December 18, 2005

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-524-1938165-524,00.html

In the beginning was the word of God and God never said anything about
brassieres or boxer shorts.

Thus was born Natura, America's first Christian nudist camp.

After two years of biblical debate over Adam and Eve and their fig leaves
and whether or not nudity is sinful, a 67-year-old Quaker grandfather is
preparing to open a modern-day Garden of Eden 40 miles north of Tampa,
Florida.

Bill Martin¹s ambitious plan for a 200-acre Christian-oriented Family
Naturist Village has survived legal challenges, doctrinal disputes and a
plague of internet prudes. Land is now being cleared for the opening next
year of what may become the world¹s only Christian community to feature nude
volleyball.

Despite howls of complaint from fundamentalists who have likened Martin to
the Antichrist -- and described his nudist plans as ³graphic evidence of
America¹s moral collapse² -- Natura intends to build 50 houses around a
non-denominational church where clothing for services will be optional.

He has fought with his neighbours over property rights, fallen out with
other nudists over his promotional material and sparked a vigorous internet
debate over whether the true path to godliness really involves getting
naked.

Yet Martin remains confident that Christians will flock to Natura to
experience the spiritual benefits of a lifestyle ³free from body shame². He
is spending more than $2m on a nudist recreational complex that will also
feature a hotel, campsites and a children¹s water park.

³As evidenced by Adam and Eve, we believe that when God¹s children are in
the right relationship to Him, they will be naked and unashamed,² explains
one of Natura¹s brochures.

American Christians have long been intrigued by the biblical implications of
nudity and Ilsley Boone, a Baptist pastor, was the founder in 1931 of the
American Sunbathing Association, an early naturist group.

Martin and his supporters argue that nudism is unhealthy, especially for
children, unless it occurs in a proper Christian context. He has criticised
non-religious nudist camps for encouraging alcohol and sensuality. ³We are
going after a totally different group, a group that doesn¹t want a sexual
atmosphere,² he said. ³There is absolutely no relationship between nudity
and sex.²

Much of his group¹s philosophy appears in a book, Nakedness and the Bible,
self-published on the internet by Paul Bowman, a Canadian author. The book
cites several biblical references suggesting that God does not disapprove of
nudity and that Jesus may have been naked at several key moments of his life
-- notably when he washed the feet of his disciples.

Martin¹s supporters also claim that nude worship is much more in keeping
with modest Christian values than are the ostentatious displays of wealth on
show at the suburban ³megachurches², where women attend services in
³designer clothes and $90 haircuts², says one internet posting.

None of which has stopped Martin¹s critics from battling against his
project. Texe Marrs, who operates a website called Conspiracyworld.com, has
pointed to Martin¹s project as evidence that Satan is subverting
Christianity.

Daniel Bellows, chief executive of the new development, said that he
regularly receives e-mails from Christians appalled by the idea of nude
worship and warning him that he faces eternal damnation.

Although Martin¹s land has been used by naturists before -- the area has the
largest concentration of nudist camps in America -- he has alienated local
residents with proposed property improvements that have spawned half a dozen
lawsuits.

He has also upset America¹s largest naturist association with his
³holier-than-thou² approach. Earlier this year Natura was expelled by the
American Association for Nude Recreation, representing 270 member
organisations, on the grounds that his website
<http://www.natura-fellowship.org/> was publishing ³sexually exploitative
material².

Martin, who made his money building nursing and retirement homes in
Washington, dismissed the allegations as professional jealousy and defended
the photographs as harmless.

³Christ has forewarned us that we would be persecuted for his sake,² he told
supporters in an e-mail. But he later removed all photographs from his site.

Martin also became embroiled in a bizarre dispute about an article that
appeared on his website discussing male erections -- a perennial concern for
novice nudists. Martin told the St Petersburg Times that the article was
meant to help young men worried about an embarrassing reaction when first
confronting naked women.

³If you can¹t speak about human nature, I don¹t know what you can speak
about,² he said. ³Erections have got to be addressed. It¹s a major concern
of teen males.²

Martin¹s critics depict him as a religious fanatic whose criticisms of rival
resorts are damaging the naturist industry. ³We are not concerned about him
taking our members,² said Elf Anderson, who conducts nude marriage
ceremonies at other resorts. ³But we are concerned about the impression he
gives to the public about us.

³We are all for wholesome family nudism -- but he¹s just way off the scale.²