[lit-ideas] Re: Chantal Delsol on the European condition

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:34:30 -0800

Having seen references to a great number of the clichés Delsol refers to, I
take her meaning and in the context of Berlinski?s book, I?m sure a reader
would as well, but if the concept is strange and there is no context,
perhaps not.  Both Berlinski and Bawer have made reference to Orwell in
regard to the clichés that have become common place (as well as unexamined)
in Europe.  I?ve quoted the term ?tolerance? for example.  It is regularly
applied to the intolerant acts of militant Muslims in Europe.  Apparently,
few Europeans see the contradiction.

Another cliché has to do with the idea of a Dutch, British, French (fill in
the nation) backlash.  This cliché is used to tone down accounts of Muslim
depravations for ?fear of a backlash ?.  In actuality, Bawer reports, there
have been few examples of backlash but European leaders seem more worried,
or at least speak more, about backlash than Islamic crimes.

There is also the invoking of the term ?moderate Muslim? in various contexts
that qualify as clichés.   Various statements and assumptions are made about
the ?Moderate Muslim,? but upon examination (something European politicians
apparently don?t do in regard to this subject) the ?moderate Muslims? if
they exist are virtually invisible.

[from Bawer?s While Europe Slept, page  229] ?In 2005, according to German
interior minister Otto Schily, 1 percent of his country?s Muslims were
Islamist radicals; Kamal Nawash of Free Muslims against Terrorism suggested
that ?as many as 50 percent of Muslims around the world support the goals of
the extremists?; pollster Daniel Yankelovich estimated that about 10 percent
of all Muslims are fundamentalists, with the number varying widely from
country to country.  Daniel Pipes put the total figure at between 10 and 15
percent ? which would mean that between 85 and 90 percent are moderates.

?Many European Muslims may themselves be moderates, yet may have a concept
of religious identity that makes it difficult for them to side with infidels
against even the most violent of their fellow Muslims. If this is far less
of a problem with American than with European Muslims, it?s because
America?s melting-pot ethos enables and encourages immigrants to think of
themselves as Americans while Europe?s multicultural-mosaic model
discourages newcomers from seeing themselves as British, Dutch, French, or
whatever. . . . ?

?Then there?s the problem of intimidation.  Many European Muslims are
moderates, but dare not speak up against their more radical coreligionists
for fear of exclusion from the community ? or worse.  Unless something
changes, they never will speak up and in the end will meekly follow those
radicals into a Europe ruled by Sharia law.  If that happens what?s in their
hearts hardly matters: practically speaking, they?re the radicals? allies. .
. .?

Lawrence