[lit-ideas] Re: Chantal Delsol on the European condition

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:03:49 -0800

“Lacking any sense of purpose, Delsol observes, and fearful of taking a stand – about anything, even the essentials of self-preservation – Europeans instead enshroud themselves in technological and physical comfort, leading mediocre lives, avoiding risk at all cost, and mouthing vapid, unexamined clichés.

I hadn't realized just how bad things are. Surely they can find some exciting, well-researched, fully documented ones—?

It takes a particular form of genius to characterize clichés by means of clichés. When I find boiler plate language like this in something meant to inform, I think of George Orwell and move on.

Robert Paul
Reed College