[lit-ideas] "Ce Qui N'est Pas Clair N'Est Pas Francais" (Rivarol) (Was: "N'est-ce pas?"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:01:39 EDT

J Wager writes of the Wittgenstein quote:

"I HIGHLY suspect that the Frenchman had German in mind  when he made the
comment."

Don't think so. As I mentioned, there's this  beautiful chapter by Anthony
Lodge, "French is a logical language" in P.  Trudgill, "Language myths".
There's
a complex of superiority in French  politician and diplomatical talk that
does not quite fit the German  reservedness.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Language/2007_
August_18_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Language/2007_August_18)

_Rivarol_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Rivarol)  wrote in  Sur
l'universalité de la langue française (and this is much quoted by the  French)
"Ce qui n'est pas clair n'est pas français ; ce qui n'est pas  clair est encore
anglais, italien, grec ou latin"! (That which is not clear  is not French;
that which is not clear is still English, Italian, Greek or  Latin.)

But I agree that Germans verbalise at the end -- "Die Deutsche merkuerdigen
Eigentuemlichkeit" as Geary jocularly refers to that.

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La  Recoleta C1124AAE,