[lit-ideas] Calling all linguists/grammarians

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 11:51:49 -0500

I'm tutoring a high school kid in Honor's English.  I thought I had a
pretty solid grammar foundation -- I used to diagram sentences for fun, and
I've studied French, Spanish, Greek, Hebrew, and Latin.  However.  The
class seems to be making distinctions among predicate nominatives, subject
complements, and appositives which are bewildering, especially since much
of the material out there uses "predicate nominative" and "subject
complement" interchangeably, and the sources that do not distinguish them
differently from one another.  Her text is close to worthless because the
teacher does not hew closely to it.  There seems to be a fair amount of
latitude in grammar terminology these days amongst sources and teachers.
 Googling only confuses the issues because every "solid" website I can find
either interchanges the terms synonymously, or distinguishes the terms from
one another differently from the last website.

I'm going to ask the student if there's any way she can record the classes,
but I'm looking at listening to hours of classroom explication if she's
able to do so!

Any and all thoughts, ideas, directions, observations, corrections, are
appreciated!

Julie Campbell
Julie's Music & Language Studio
1215 W. Worley