[lit-ideas] Re: British free known terrorists

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:16:14 +0000 (GMT)

> How does one bar someone from using computers?

That's among the suggested restrictions (the Telegraph article Lawrence cites
says).  I don't know how they think they could do this i.e. stop any and all
instances of computer use before they occur. But see below

> Perhaps every time he is caught -- aha! gotcha! -- trying
> to use a computer, he is taken to a bar and compelled to consume ten
> >straight shots of Bombay Gin, harked back to his home/Internet
> >cafe/recruiting mosque/university/situ/evil lair and told to carry on.

we know about this because we know about release on licence. A prisoner on
licence can be "recalled" (returned to gaol) more or less summarily for any
breach of the conditions.  (Obviously if the breach involved an indictable
offence there'd also be a trial for that.)

The last released prisoner I know of who broke a licence condition was I'm
pretty sure taken straight back to prison before the trial. At the trial, he
was sentenced to two years -- the  tariff for the offence that comprised the
licence breach -- but he may well not be released then.

More about conditions here

http://www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.php?title=Licence_conditions#Standard_conditions_of_licence

http://www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.php?title=Licence_conditions#Other_conditions_of_licence

Judy Evans