[lit-ideas] Re: Bodies on Display

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:16:23 -0500

Yes, I have. They seem half art and half science. A student went to the one in Toronto a few weeks back (with her eight year old son in tow) and brought me a picture (8X10) of a plastinated pregnant woman. She has an oddly surprised look on her face. But there's also something quite magnificent in the machine aspect of her and her baby's bodies. She looks alien with all the inside bits outside, but still so human. Many of the great artists of the past had a fascination with what lay under the skin. Da Vinci was certainly known to peel away the layers of corpses he was lucky enough to beg or borrow or buy or burgle.

Now if someone could devise a way to peel away the layers and reveal the sighs and sorrows that our poor flesh is heir to...that would be a frightening exhibit. But perhaps I'd still go.
Ursula
about 200 miles north of the plastinated people

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Have you seen any of the pic's on-line?
Julie Krueger