[lit-ideas] Re: Best Philosopher ("favourite" philosopher)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:15:41 -0700

on 6/7/05 4:38 PM, Judy Evans at judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> well it's silly, but no sillier, I'd say, than when (some years ago
> now) the Sunday Times asked allegedly top UK philosophers to name
> the greatest living philosopher and all except one named Macintyre.
> (The maverick named Hilary Putnam.)

Well there's a misty caw of memory.  I can't count exactly how many hours I
spent in the Shady Boy Bar and Grill, Stephen's diesel VW Eurovan, trickling
down a freeway at fifty four miles per hour, listening to tapes of Alisdair
Macintyre.  More than a few.  "Macintyre, a Scot!  You'll like him!"

I bet the Sunday Times writers had the following conversation:

We could phone up all of the U.K.'s philosophy faculty, leave messages, wait
for return bells, come up with a result in about six months or...for
slightly less money...we could ring up Vancouver B.C. and ask *one* faculty
member his preference, and have a considerable contribution to the beer
kitty left over.  Bob's yer uncle.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon