[lit-ideas] Berlin Nyet/Montreal Da

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:45:02 -0230

Those of you who offered me some suggestions on where to stay, eat and drink
during my stay in Berlin, as well as those of you who are simply of a curious
sort, may be wondering why no update on my trip has yet been provided. The
reason is that I was unable to go to Berlin at this time and was in Montreal
instead. Thanks again to those of you who provided suggestions and narratives
of places in Berlin. I'v recorded them all in my travel folder under "Berlin"
and will try to visit the places next time I am able to get to Berlin.

I'm sure you all know all about Montreal, so I won't bore you with any stories.
I stayed midtown on Aylmer and Sherbrooke, next to Place de Arts and its metro
station. That gave me easy access to downtown Montreal and the newly-gentrified
Mont Royal/Plateau neighborhood where my son presently lives. This area, just
east of the mountain (Mont Royal - Montreal) is bounded essentially by
Sherbrooke in the S, Laurier in the N, St. Denis in the E and Parc/Bleury on
the W.

Montreal is my first home town and I take every opportunity I get to visit.
Huge
construction and reconstruction projects presently underway. Old water pipes
being torn out of the ground and replaced, new condos mushrooming across the
downtown area, sandblasting of facades of buildings designated as historic
sites, facelifts to churches and department stores, and - as you may have
recently heard - long overdue repairs of roads, overpasses and sidewalks make
most transportation around town a long and arduous journey. But at least we'll
be prepared for the 21st. century. And such preparation will even extend to the
moral and cultural spheres thanks to the educative journeys of our very own
Charles Taylor into the towns and villages of la belle province. (Although a
Kantian surely would have been a more appropriate choice than a staunch
Aristotelian. But that's only if you ask me.)

Walter O.
Back on the Rock of the Avalon