[lit-ideas] Re: Beard's The Rise of American Civilization

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:50:08 -0800

There's also Anthony Trollope's travels in America. He went around the US during the Civil War, talked with many people at all levels of society, and wrote about it for his British readers. It's a fascinating book with lots of details about daily life in the USA. What ever happened to lollipop vendors in the trains?

Anyway, in his book, you see that at the time, it was indeed seen as a war over the principle of federation vs. confederation. Instead of "War between the States", it was a "War over the Principle of the States." May a state manage itself, or must it do as the federal government says? Specifically, may a state have slavery, or must it be abolished if the federal government determines to do so?

The States' Rights issue became dormant (actually, it was disreputable) until the 60s, when George Wallace (governor of Alabama) and others brought it up again. The GOP has since then used it very effectively to undermine federal government (specifically, to abolish all sorts of legislation that protects women, children, the environment, the workplace, Blacks, Latinos, gays, etc.)

It's much easier for the wealthy to control a state legislature than Congress (state legislatures are smaller, less sophisticated, poorly organized, less competition from other lobbyists, cheaper to bribe, etc.), so they would rather move social issues to the state legislatures, where they can pass subtle, complex laws that prevent those issues from arising.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>