[lit-ideas] Re: Back to parenting and politics

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:24:18 +0900

On 2005/02/26, at 21:32, John Wager wrote:

> Her mother, from whom I am now
> divorced (part of the "unzipping" of left and right?), was critical of
> this approach, wanting both of us to be more authoritarian.

One source of friction when Kate was growing up was that her parents
were constantly negotiating their relationship with each other as to
their daughter. Ruth's and my family backgrounds were sufficiently
different that we didn't have automatic agreement on the details of the
type of family we were trying to create. In retrospect, we were
striving to create a nurturant-parent family; but precisely what that
would entail in terms of division of labor and the exercise of
authority was always debatable.

We were, looking back on it, a classic case of what child psychologist
Terry Brazelton talks about when he says that, starting from infancy,
children negotiate separate relationships with each of their parents.
Add that the parents themselves were groping for common ground and a
sense of where the limits are; this particular family triangle was
always complex.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku