[lit-ideas] Re: BBC

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:59:14 -0800

From "Carry On Up the Khyber"?

Former British Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt, agreed
warfare had entered a new era and needed the support of development programmes.

"In conventional wars, you talk about winning and losing.

"What we're trying to do here is succeed sufficiently to put Afghanistan as a
sufficiently stable state that can look after itself and doesn't become
ungoverned space into which al-Qaeda or other terrorist groups could reoccupy,"
he said.

Gen Richards comments came as the Foreign Office apologised to a group of MPs
after a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan and Pakistan had to be called off
because of a security lapse.

Next week's visit by members of the Commons defence select committee was
cancelled after an unencrypted e-mail was sent out by an embassy official in
Kabul, prompting fears that the MPs' safety may have been compromised.

The Foreign Office said it would be trying to rearrange a visit for the MPs.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We have offered our apologies for this
regrettable lapse in our procedures and have assured the committee that we will
do all we can to arrange a successful visit in the future."

David Ritchie,
not in spaces into which groups could reoccupy, but instead in
Portland, Oregon