[lit-ideas] Re: Autopsy?!?!

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:48:01 -0400

This seems to go back to defining love.  Loving our children so much that
we would sacrifice them to prove that life is worth dying for has a "with
friends like this, who needs enemies" quality to it.  If we simply liked
our children, would we sacrifice them?  Probably not.  Therefore, love is
meaningless except as an expression of incredible egocentrism, me-ism.  I
love my country, therefore, I will kill my countrymen to prove it.  Would
country, or even God, not be satisified with, as Benjamin Franklin says,
arbitration?  History tells us that clearly they would not be satisfied. In
the movie Affair of the Necklace (a true story), the mob rejoices at Marie
Antoinette's execution; a man holds his child up so he can see better her
head being guillotined off.  That callousness, and yes, joy, at seeing an
"enemy" killed, coupled with humanity's animal nature, the same animal
nature that rejoices in hunting, in my opinion is what makes war eternal.
I believe your point is the perversity of human values, and I couldn't
agree more with it.