[lit-ideas] Re: As the World Turns

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 21:09:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/3/2009 8:51:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Lessig's rejection of the notion of  eliminating copyright altogether

----

I started to see the clip.  When it got to Aldous Huxley, I had a calling
(as R. Paul would say). Perhaps  some other time. Aldous Huxley. I love the
man. But Lessig was quoting him in a  rather boring context. To me, the
entertaining Huxley is when he visited Buenos  Aires (Victoria Ocampo's villa
in
San Isidro) and he couldn't find the  bathroom.

----

Borges said that he never wanted to be recalled as  "(c) Borges". The whole
idea of copyright is indeed otiose. It's very good that  Homer is _past_
copyright. Imagine if we had "(c) The Trustees of  Homer".

Viva Lessig!

I find the heading confusing, slightly. To me  that phrase belongs in Liza
Minnelli's catchy Kander-Ebb tune in "New York, New  York".

Sometimes you're happy, sometimes you're sad

But the world  goes 'round

Sometimes you lose every nickel you had

But the world  goes 'round

Sometimes your dreams get broken in pieces
But that  doesn't alter a thing
Take it from me, there's still gonna be
A summer, a  winter, a fall and a spring
And sometimes a friend starts treating you  bad

But the world goes 'round

And sometimes your heart breaks with  a deafening sound
Somebody loses and somebody wins
And one day it's kicks,  then it's kicks in the shins

But

the planet  spins

and the world goes  'round-

But the world goes 'round
And 'round and 'round and 'round and  'round
The world goes 'round and 'round and 'round
And 'round!

Or  even the better, "Let the great big world keep turning" (Tommy's song
--  Grey-Ayers)

The clip was recorded live at San Diego. Wasn't there a bit of room noise
for a pro like Lessig?

JL Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!