[lit-ideas] Re: As the World Turns

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:50:42 +0900

I would have said that he is moving the political discussion forward by
clearly identifying the problem and presenting his diagnosis in an effective
and entertaining manner. The premise with which he concludes, that to simply
defend the current law will have the effect of criminalizing a whole
generation is a great piece of political rhetoric. And this is what it is, a
talk to drum up interest in the issue. He has written several thick books on
the subject should one care to pursue the matter.
I admire both the moderation of Lessig's rejection of the notion of
eliminating copyright altogether as well as its accidental and overweening
extension to all forms of digital reproduction and, also,  the design and
dramatic flair of the presentation. I do understand  how it might be
disturbing to those inclined to elevate the axioms of a brief historical
period in which mass-produced print was the dominant medium of discourse to
transcendental truths, just as the world they assume is coming apart around
them.

As a bookishly inclined person, I find it a bit disturbing myself. As an
anthropologist who is used to observing people doing what may, at first
glance, seem utterly crazy things and asking what is the world in which
these things make sense, I find this stuff intriguing. And as someone who
has lived long enough to see several "solutions" (the Great Society, the
Cultural Revolution, Market Fundamentalism) come and go, I am not especially
disturbed by the lack of a final solution here.

John

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John McCreery wrote:
>
> "But also, Lessig is truly one of the best lawyers around when it
> comes to copyright and related issues. He is smart enough to know that
> law is produced by political discussion, and also that the discussion
> in question is just beginning in those blurry areas where professional
> and amateur use overlap.  I see no need for disappointment when seeing
> him wisely refraining from claiming a solution when there is still so
> much work to do."
>
> My disappointment does not lie in the absence of a solution, but
> rather in the lack of any suggestions for moving the political
> discussion forward.  He has clear opinions about how things are not
> working now, but doesn't offer opinions about how to improve the
> system.  From John's description of the talk as being 'amazing', I had
> hoped for more.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Phil Enns
> Yogyakarta, Indonesia