[lit-ideas] Re: Are you out there, Didier?

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:30:08 -0500

Teemu: the companies having trouble competing in the global market place are more
often than not big US corporations .... I have a cultural explanation for this and in a nut shell it boils down to amount of red tape that makes Russian bureaucracy look efficent...

Teemu, this makes perfect sense to me. You may be interested to know that my Brazilian friends critique US medicine for the same reason. In some countries, certain issues can be resolved verbally and acted upon quickly. In the US, everything has to be documented and mediated by lawyers.

In US medicine, for example, doctors often are forced--in order to protect themselves against possible litigation by creating a lawyer-proof paper trail--to order tests they know are totally unnecessary, driving up the cost of health care in general.