[lit-ideas] Anglo-Norman -- or Long-Circuited Implicature

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:45:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/2004 11:49:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think  that if Bush is re-elected there will peace in our time; everyone who
wants  a well-paying, satisfying ...; Mike Geary will be appointed Attorney
General

-----

I wonder if the expression "attorney general" is Anglo-Normal. Strictly, an
attorney general is a general, while it's a general attorney that is an
attorney. But I gather 'attorney general' is an _attorney_. So rather one
explains
that in terms of long-circuited implicature, or say it's an  Anglo-Norman
relic?

There may be other examples of this French-looking (indeed Romance-looking)
construction.

Cheers,

JL