[lit-ideas] Re: Americans close with the Germans at last

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 22:42:16 -0700

On May 9, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

The passage reads

[snip]

That these were self-propelled guns might explain the headlong enthusiasm of the American artillerists, but it doesn't explain why they thought they didn't need to wait for anyone to position them. Atkins doesn't exactly knock one's socks off here. It's impossible, given what he says, to know exactly what he's talking about. For all their surface vividness, his words don't really describe anything.

I wasn't suggesting that half tracks were the guns in question, merely pointing out that Americans were using a 75 mm gun in that campaign. Maybe I should have cut the quotation to "a little-known gun of which I know nothing"?

As for your critique of Atkins...the Patton biography has some of the same problems. Where are all the editors gone, long time passing...

David Ritchie,
keeping a weather eye out in
Portland, Oregon