[lit-ideas] Re: Americans close with the Germans at last

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 17:22:50 -0700

On May 9, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

If they were 75mm (a little-known gun of which I know nothing), they might have been towed by something else.

I can't find Medjez in the Patton biography, but I'm assuming we're in maybe March of 1943? At that time the Americans were using a 75- millimeter gun mounted on a half track, designated "tank destroyers." They weren't successful. In one fight, German armor destroyed twenty four out of the thirty four engaged.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon