[lit-ideas] Re: Alternate Views of Multiculturalism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:25:13 -0800

I value old cultures.   We have some old cultures here in the U.S., Indian
cultures, and anthropologists see them slipping away too quickly; so they
talk to all the old people about their old stories, legends and experiences.
I've read about anthropologists living with pigmy tribes in Africa and
strange tribes in the Amazon rain forest.  We do want to learn from these
people before their cultures pass away, as pass away they will unless we
create something like an animal park for them; which doesn't seem desirable.

Here in Southern California we have La Raza.  The idea is that Mexicans will
come across the border, legally or illegally until they are in the majority
in Southern California, Arizona, and Texas and then they will vote
themselves independence or if that doesn't work drive the gringo out of
their region so that they are in effect a separate nation.  I don't see that
working because all the Mexicans I know seem happy to lean English and
become American.  They find our culture more attractive than the one south
of the border.  Their loyalty is to America and not to La Raza.

That sort of thing is happening in Europe on a much larger and more
effective scale.  Fundamentalist Muslims became citizens of European nations
with no intent of integrating into those nations.  It was stupid of those
nations to allow this.  You don't allow an enemy into your house.  If he
subscribes to a philosophy that says you are an infidel and deserve to be
killed if you don't convert to his point of view then you do not want him to
become a citizen of your nation.  The La Raza Mexicans don't go that far.
They just want to drive us gringos out of Southern California, not kill us.
They don't go in for blowing things up, especially not themselves.  We are
not making any headlines here, so we can forgive you if you don't know the
plans of La Raza.  But what excuse is there for not knowing the plans of the
Islamists?

I suppose one big excuse is that no one studies them.  Who has the time?
Who are they?  What do they believe?  How dangerous are they?  David
Selbourne devotes the first chapter of his book, The Losing Battle with
Islam to this issue.  These people are not Terrorists, they adhere to a
religious position that is accompanied by a militant political position that
is very aggressive.  They don't want to become British.  They want the
British to become Muslim.  We Christians have contented ourselves with
peaceful evangelism to gain our converts; not the Islamists.  If they are
not in power they intimidate and use terror.  Once they are in power they
imprison, torture, rape, execute until they get a homogenous society that
subscribes to their ideology.

This is the multiculturalism that I hope has had its day.  No European
nation should accept an immigrant who does not wish to become a loyal
citizen.  If he is an Islamist, a Fundamentalist Muslim, then you have
enough information to know that his ideology forbids him to become a loyal
citizen of your nation.  Don't let him in.

Allowing cultures to exist parallel to yours may be okay in some cases, but
it isn't okay if that culture is Militant Islam.  And it wouldn't be okay
with La Raza if La Raza really worked.

Lawrence

  _____