[lit-ideas] Alternate Views of Multiculturalism -long as usual

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 04:22:27 EST

Hi,

First, I want to say that I have begun about 25 or more posts to John M in
response to his question about the book he is reading. (It is, actually, going
to be an important book this year in the arena of those who look at
faith/politics--it was listed on the reading list of Brian McClaren who is one
of the
main proponents of the GenX movement within Christianity (those who are
curious about the intersection of postmodernism and religion might get a grin
out
of how they recommend reading people like Derrida and such <g> as it  will
assist in Biblical interpretation...the _http://www.emergentvillage.com_
(http://www.emergentvillage.com)  is a  good place to start.

and that leads me to just some of this--and I apologize in advance if this
post, like the many others, ends up too long for some of you to read. If you
need it broken down more (in case it is intriguing enough) or you would care
for  more thoughts, feel free to ask <g> In addition to the 25 or so to and
about John M's post with the additional comments made addressing Mike's
response...I have posts begun to and about Omar's thoughts/viewpoints as well
as  some
to/about more of Lawrence's--all of which I have really been pondering.
(along with Eric and Julie--for their posts often relate to these  topics--)

So, this post, because I have been so frustrated with how my writing
response is going--is probably not going to be near as good as I would like.

But, in the concern for balance that I have, I do want to share at least
parts of my thoughts--in hope that some of it will bring people to an awareness

that the world is an awfully big place and there are a lot of people doing a
lot  of very interesting things--and that there is, indeed, hope...for
appreciative  inquiry is a movement that spans all sorts of disciplines--even
those
who don't  have a clue that it is what they are doing [as happens with most
things  <g>]

I really appreciated the post on how we learn so much from the Unconscious
<g> as sometimes it seems that it is all *there* and it's just a matter of
figuring out how to articulate...(that was a sidenote to Andreas)

In a message dated 2/18/2006 5:09:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Multiculturalism has had its day and it doesnât  work.

Lawrence, I'm not sure that your definition of multiculturalism is the same
as mine (since you place that sentence in the context of the rest of what you
wrote)

Would you mind defining 'multiculturalism' as you see it?

If you look at the definition of multiculturalism the way that *I* see and
understand it, then it has certainly NOT had its say.  But, in the small  bits
and pieces of where it has been existing, it has had a say and it is  healthy
and leads to appreciation of the Other.

When I read the article talking about the percentage of British Muslims
desiring a return to Sharia Law--it made me try to go a bit deeper in to the
question of 'why' which was partially answered by this:

"Overall, the findings depict a Muslim community becoming more radical and
feeling more alienated from mainstream society, even though 91 per cent still
say they feel loyal to Britain."

To me, and Omar will hopefully correct me if I am mistaken, the desire for  a
return to Sharia might stem more from a desire for a self-Identity that they
desire to be dramatically identified and different--and 'special' as well  as
because of the same type of 'fortress mentality' that LH was talking about in
 regards to immigration policies...

It IS easier to maintain one's own identity or culture when one is
completely not connected or even touching another one--especially if one does
not know
how to do it in a healthy manner. (I would suggest that the concept of
'religious freedom' that is, you let me live mine and I let you live yours' is
not
the same as 'religious tolerance' [not sure that really is the term that I
mean by what I mean <sigh>]--which would be 'you live your religious  culture
and I'll live mine, but let's see what they have in common...just for  kicks
and grins and because it is interesting and kind of fun and also will lead  to
higher appreciation so that we can tolerate the aspects of each other's
culture/religion that we don't much understand or see the value in...)

A bit like Wendell Berry's

"Culture preserves the map and the records of past journeys so that no
generation will permanently destroy the route.

The more local and settled the culture, the better it stays put and the  less
the damage. It is the foreigner whose road of excess leads a desert."

SIDENOTE: Might some of this be what has happened within the whole  Christian
Community--and why people are voting for things/decisions/people who  are
actually creating situations which are counter-productive to their own  health
and well-being?

Might this not be the same thing, then, that is happening/could happen in
Britain within the Muslim community?

Question: What are the ages of the majority of the militant Islamic  folk?
Are they mostly of Baby Boomer age?  Does anyone know?   Particularly (since we
were talking about Britain--what is the age of those  leaders who are pushing
their hubs of people  towards Sharia Law, I  wonder?)

HOPE
Now, I grant you--the Emergent Movement within the Jewish world, Christian
world and Muslim world is one (I think) that is primarily made up of those
within GenX.  (Gen X is basically what? 1966 or so to 1986 or so...)   and so,
as
a  portion of the population, it is actually pretty small.   However, what
most people are not aware, the Baby Boomers are not larger than  GenY--which is
entering college or the work force this year or so--and they are  going to be
an incredibly strong generation in many respects.

But, again--GenX is not what you hear much about as they have not really
moved too much into positions of power in great numbers (there just are not
that
many of them to begin with) and because they also tend to be somewhat
skeptical  ... but they have been changing, quietly, ways of thinking about
things of
 Spirit.

The beginning of this year was one of the first official Emergent meetings
with Christians and Jews.  There is, coming up, one which will be of
Christians, Jews and Muslims--in LA.

One piece of information which came out within the discussion between the
Jewish Emergents and Christian Emergents was how Christians in the US
(particularly) tend to identify themselves as such with a particular set of
beliefs.
That did not seem to be (necessarily) so with the Jews  present.  I wonder if
perhaps this is what is happening to the Muslims in  Britain (and, perhaps,
elsewhere)  If the culture in which we are is such  that we are blending in too
much--how do we identify ourselves?  Maybe by  our beliefs, then, rather than
our culture?  Somehow, perhaps because they  have had to travel so much in
their history/culture, the Jews have managed to  come through to the other side
on the path of the Traveler that Wendell Berry  was talking about--

and so, maybe we (ie Christian, Jew, Humanist [they are part of the  Emergent
Movement, too] and others who need/desire Identity--could learn from  them on
this matter.

Multiculturalism to me is what is happening here--an awareness that we are
none of us 'finished' yet.  Our faith is a process--and knowledge is a
process--and since we cannot and do no live separately--and we would not want
to--we
need to focus on what is similar and appreciate those similarities--and
well, this from the summing up of the meeting (there is lots more on this site:

_http://synagogue3000.org/synablog/?p=20#respond_
(http://synagogue3000.org/synablog/?p=20#respond)  )  kind of speaks to this
thought:

One of the key articles that might be of interest to those curious about  the
value of multiculturalism WHEN it is introduced in a healthy context (not
the 'you have yours and I have mine and let's just agree to that' versus an
understanding of the value of shared but also separate cultures  and faiths--

(Aristotle is mentioned <g> for those who only want to read  philosophy--and
is one of the 'common grounds' mentioned...)
It's on the site of the Islamic Center of Southern California and is  written
by Jacob Bender, an American Jew in NYC... He focuses on how  Aristotle
influenced Ibn Rushd the Muslim, Rabbi Musa the Jew and Thomas Aquinas  the
Christian and talks about by focusing on the common values within each
tradition,
each faith--they actually have more in common then those on the  fringes of
each
faith...

_http://www.islamctr.org/article2.asp_ (http://www.islamctr.org/article2.asp)

And please know: _FaithJam06 â Christian, Jewish and Muslim â Comedy, Music

and Spoken Word_ (http://www.letmypeoplesing.com/) , being organized by  S3Kâ
s  _Craig  Taubman_ (http://www.craignco.com/)  for April 8 in Los Angeles
(During a grand Passover  Celebration sponsored by lots of Jewish groups and
with
the Emergent Christian  types there, too, and being held at the _Islamic
Center of Southern California_ (http://www.islamctr.org/) , no lessâ.as
there is
interest in the Emergent Muslim world...  and see it listed on the  calendar
of Let My People Sing ... as part of that festival...

_http://www.letmypeoplesing.com/calendar.html_
(http://www.letmypeoplesing.com/calendar.html)

Here is some of the entertainment:

Formed in 1999, The Yuval Ron  Ensemble includes Arabic,  Israeli, Jewish,
and Christian Armenian artists who unite the sacred musical  traditions of
Judaism, Sufism (Islamic mystical tradition) and the Armenian  Church into an
unusual mystical, spiritual and inspiring musical celebration.  The ensemble
creates musical bridges between people of the Jewish, Muslim and  Christian
faiths,
and is dedicated to fostering an understanding of Middle  Eastern cultures and
religions through music.
_www.yuvalronmusic.com/_ (http://www.yuvalronmusic.com/)

Think they can play at our Lit-Ideas Conference?  Don't know who the  keynote
speaker is, yet, that I'd like.

Best,
Marlena in Missouri
hoping the conference is in the early in August after the  4th...